THE “LOCSIN CLAN” OF THE PHILIPPINES By Dinggol Araneta Divinagracia
(Published in the San Diego Asian Journal, the original Asian Journal in America and the leading Filipino American newspaper in San Diego, California)
EARLY HISTORY * GENEALOGY
Sometime in the year 1750, an adventurous young man named Wo Sing Lok, also known as “Sin Lok” arrived in Manila, Philippines.
The 12-year old traveler came from Amoy, the old name for Xiamen, an island known in ancient times as “Gateway to China” –near the mouth of Jiulong “Nine Dragon” River in the southern part of Fujian province.
Earlier in Manila, immigrants from China were herded to stay in the Chinese trading center called “Parian”. After the Sangley Revolt of 1603, this was destroyed and burned by the Spanish authorities. Three decades later, Chinese traders built a new and bigger Parian near Intramuros.
In July 17, 1679, a royal decree issued during the administration of Gov. Juan de Vargas compelled all local unmarried Chinese to live in the Parian and all married Chinese to stay in Binondo.
Similar Chinese enclaves or “Parian” were later established in Camarines Sur, Cebu, and Iloilo.
Sin Lok together with the progenitors of the Lacson, Sayson, Ditching, Layson, Ganzon, Sanson and other families who fled Southern China during the reign of the despotic Qing dynasty (1644-1912) in the 18th century and arrived in Maynilad; finally, decided to sail farther south and landed at the port of Batiano river to settle permanently in “Parian” near La Villa Rica de Arevalo in Iloilo.
In 1780, Sin Lok was christened as Agustin Locsin when he married Cecilia Sayson, a spanish mestisa daughter of an ilongga and a sangley or local Chinaman trader who were both devout Roman Catholics.
Thus, the LOCSIN LINEAGE began…
Agustin “Sin Lok” Locsin and Cecilia Sayson-Locsin had six children, namely: Josef Manuel, Rev. Domingo, Rev. Juan, Rev. Jose Maria, Lucrecia and Silvestra.
The eldest son, JOSEF MANUEL SAYSON LOCSIN married JULIANA FLORENCIA MELLIZA by whom he had fourteen (14) children, namely: Maxima, Ciriaco (Abdon) Manuel, Francisca, Rev. Roman Manuel, Rev. Luis Manuel, Rev. Eusebio Manuel, Mariano, Capitan Ramon, Baldomero, Lucas, Esteban, Andres, Juan and Tomasa.
The Santa Ana Church at “Parian” now Molo in Iloilo City that was built of coral stones in 1831 in unique ornate Gothic-Romanesque architecture, under Fray Pablo Montaño was further expanded and finished by Fray Agapito Buenaflor in 1888 under the general supervision of Josef Manuel Locsin y Sayson, together with his trusted foreman Mateo Firmeza. The painting of the murals inside this church were intricately done by Mariano Mabunay and Jesus Huervas.
The second son, REV. DOMINGO SAYSON LOCSIN became the Curate of Bugasong, Antique in the year 1817.
The third son, REV. JUAN SAYSON LOCSIN, likewise, became the Curate of Bugasong, Antique in 1834. He fathered two (2) children, namely; Lucio Locsin who married Benigna Oliveros and his sister Dionisia Locsin who married Leon Solis.
The fourth and youngest son, REV. JOSE MA. SAYSON LOCSIN begot a daughter with Soledad Araneta, a spanish mestisa from Zamboanga and named her Rosario. Rosario later married Iloilo British Consul William Windham and they lived in La Villa Rica de Arevalo in Iloilo City. They had a daughter named Dolores Locsin Windham.
LUCRECIA SAYSON LOCSIN, the eldest daughter of “Sin Lok” married Francisco Guanzon by whom she had a daughter, named Silvestra Locsin Guanzon who married Pedro Montelibano.
SILVESTRA SAYSON LOCSIN, the youngest daughter of “Sin Lok” married a scion of an Araneta family in Molo.
“May the spirit of our early Locsin ancestors, continue to guide us and the future generations forevermore”–dinggol.d. (Locsin #1.127.723)