By Miles Beauchamp, PhD
Dr. Beauchamp teaches writing and diverse communications at Alliant International University. He co-wrote Disabled Literature and has another book due for release. He has been with the Asian Journal since the 1990’s.
It’s getting easier to be a thief
Law enforcement and cyber- criminals in a
A new year has rolled around and the scams get more numerous and harder to detect. We’ve all seen the scams being sent around via e-mail that discuss getting money out of South Africa. All you need to do is send them good-faith money and your bank account numbers. In turn they’re going to give you millions for helping them get money out of the country illegally. That scam is just far too easy.Lately there have been the Christmas scams, New Year scams, and other scams that prey on people’s good will.
It used to be that being a thief was hard work. It wasn’t as hard as pouring concrete in the summer, which is why some people turned to crime, but work was still involved. You had to rob someone, make a getaway, hide out for a long, long time, find someone to “launder” the money for you so it couldn’t be traced, and you were constantly nervous. Today, being a thief is so much easier. There is mail fraud, telephone solicitation, door-to-door scams and best (or at least quickest) of all, the ever-increasing e-mail scam. Now you can try to rob thousands or even millions of people at the same time – its theft, fast-food style.
I have received, over the past few weeks, the following scams that were trying oh, so earnestly, to help me in one way or another.
1. Help the starving (send money To Beverly Hills)
2. Get Viagra cheap after you help the kids
3. Something that they said worked even better than Viagra, didn’t require a prescription, and was safe!!!!
4. Various enhancements
5. Lose fat
6. Lose more fat
7. Lose fat quicker
8. Lose fat the quickest way ever
9. Body sculpting from a pill
10. Buy land for $1 an acre
11. Unclaimed money
12. Unclaimed property
13. Cheap adoption records search
14. Find that long-lost love
15. Buy government seized cars for $1
16. Buy government seized boats for $1
17. Buy government seized art
18. Buy government seized planes for $1
19. Buy government seized homes for $1 (see a pattern?)
20. Sex change operations
21. Find a wife
22. Find a husband
23. Find a partner
24. Find buried treasure
25. Cheap vitamins
26. Cheap vitamins that will enhance your sex drive (and are cheaper than Viagra and works even better! Works for women too!!)
27. Pills that guarantee a longer life
28. Exercise equipment that is easy to use
29. Exercise equipment that doesn’t feel like exercise
30. Exercise equipment that will take inches off your waist, legs, arms, neck and stomach without you even working up a sweat
31. Places that pay top dollar for used exercise equipment
32. Investment opportunity of a lifetime
33. 50% monthly return on your money guaranteed
34. 100% monthly return on your money guaranteed
35. 200% monthly return on your money guaranteed
36. Learn the secrets of the wealthy
37. Earn millions without ever leaving your home
38. Great job opportunities
39. Great travel opportunities
40. Go to college in your spare time (free!)
The list could go on for pages, but you get the idea. Over time, if you use a computer, you have probably seen hundreds if not thousands of similar promotions. They are designed to make someone rich; unfortunately, that someone is them and not you.
Of course, if you don’t spend your money on worthless stuff you’ll have it to spend on something worthwhile. Something like, oh I don’t know, a boat for instance. Now that’s worthwhile. But again, that’s just me.
May 2020 be the best year ever